Steve Bruce breaks silence on Newcastle future after £300m Saudi takeover

SPORTS

Steve Bruce breaks silence on Newcastle future after £300m Saudi takeover

Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce has broken his silence after the club were taking over by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

The deal was finally concluded on Thursday evening after 18 months of speculation.

And just moments after the announcement, reports suggested Bruce would not be given the chance to continue at St. James’ Park.

Sky Sports claimed the new ownership were ready to bring in their own man.

However, speaking to the Telegraph, Bruce admits he wants to continue: “I want to continue, I’d like the chance to show the new owners what I can do, but you have to be realistic and they may well want a new manager to launch things for them.

See also  Time for Tuchel to take tough decisions at Chelsea

0 GettyImages 1340991819

Steve Bruce is under heavy pressure at Newcastle (Image: Stu Forster/Getty Images)

“New owners normally want a new manager. I’ve been around long enough to understand that.

“That decision is not up to me. I accept that and I will accept what comes my way. I have to wait to have those conversations with people when the time is right.

“If I don’t make it to a 1,000 games against Spurs, you might say that could only happen to me, but I don’t think it would be cruel. It’s just football.”

Amanda Staveley, who helped broker the £300m deal and will own 10 per cent of Newcastle, was asked about Bruce’s future earlier this evening.

“I did speak to the manager, said hello, and introduced ourselves. We look forward to speaking to him over the next few days,” she told Sky Sports.

See also  ‘Watching Bafana Bafana Is Painful’ – South Africans Reacts To Bafana Bafana’s Draw With Ghana’s Black Stars

“There’s an international break now, everyone is just relieved at getting some rest before the Tottenham game.

“We’re very supportive of Steve, we’ve spoken to him and what we won’t do is talk about him or players, we’re going to do a review of football operations, commercial side of the club, we’ll come back and make some decisions.

“I’m not able to talk about anything as to players or managers at this stage.”

Bruce is an unpopular figure on Tyneside, with fans calling for him to leave in recent months.

Newcastle currently sit 19th in the Premier League, without a win so far this season.

See also  Shocking video of ex-Inter Milan star Fredy Guarin covered in blood and being dragged away by police after ‘assaulting his parents’

The new consortium in charge may now decide a change in direction is best for the club.

Leave a Reply